- Food processor or high powered blender
- 1/4 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/4 cup creamy cashew butter
- 1/3 cup of raw, unfiltered (local if possible!) honey or pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 raw almonds, pecans or walnuts (chopped)
- About a 1/4 cup 70%+ dark chocolate chips
- About 1 tbs coconut oil
*You can also add about a 1/2 cup of gluten-free oats for a slightly less buttery texture of the bites.
• Mix together the wet ingredients; nut butters, coconut oil, honey and/or maple syrup in a medium sized bowl.
• Add the shredded coconut, nuts of choice, and dark chocolate chips to your food processor or blender, and pulse until all ingredients are finely diced, but not powdery. I have a high powered blender so for me this usually means only 4-6 pulses to get them the right consistency.
• Next, add the two mixtures together along with the ground flaxseed and blend. At this point I usually knead everything together by hand as it's much easier than trying to get it all mixed evenly using a spoon. Your hands will be messy but it'll be worth it!
• Place the mixture in the fridge for 15-20 minutes so it's easier to form into balls. Grab enough mixture to roll about 1 inch diameter balls. Top each ball with a sprinkle of Himalayan Sea Salt and place back in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
For optimal freshness keep chilled throughout the day — this also keeps all the healthy fats found in the nuts and nut butters from going rancid.